Sunday, August 17, 2008

Knitting is back

As the weather is cooling down slowly, my mood for knitting returns. I started a pair of socks on my way to Greece, but got stuck as I decided I have to have the heel in a different, solid color. I know it sounds quite obsessive, but when the yarn is self-striping I don't like how it doesn't even out perfectly on the heel and therefore the need for a different yarn.

I also enjoy the new order in which to knit a pair of socks. The idea came from a friend: do each step twice before moving on to the next step. So the socks progress together and the danger of second-sock syndrome is avoided. This time I stopped after the I joined back to knitting in the round and decreased all the 3+3 added stitches, which I always add when a heel is done. I found the extra stitches make the sock fit better with my high instep, and it also helps a bit with the irritating holes on the sides.



I think I will call these socks Glarokavos socks, because the colours remind me of the beaches in Chalkidiki, where part of the first sock was knit. Some of the best swimming days this year were in Glarokavo.

See what I mean?

I also began, at long last, the Back To School u-neck vest, from this book. I am using the knitpicks Andean Silk yarn, that has been so ill-fated so far. I think it is the 3rd or 4th time I try to use it for something, but always something went wrong and I had to go through the entire process of unravel, wash, re-wind. Luckily, it is a lovely yarn to knit with, and I am pleased to say that it has kept pretty well despite its adventures.



It has been going very fast, as I don't really mind ribbing once I get into the rhythm. I just finished the ribbing section, however, and the following section should go even faster, if I keep up with it at the same pace.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin