Sunday, September 09, 2007

B -Bags


(Image from: http://www.paddletramps.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=PT)

I love making bags! I have made quite a few and plan to make more, many more. Although I am finding more and more ways to use them around the house, I enjoy just as much giving them away - in fact, anyone who dares to say 'nice bag' to me runs the risk of ending up with it. They give me a very good reason to make another one!



At the same time, I hate plastic bags. In fact, I am working on developing a mental allergy to plastic bags, and hope to eliminate them from my life as much as possible. This is sometimes easier said than done. Cashiers at my local supermarket act as if they are almost personally insulted when I pull out my shopping cotton bag and tell them 'I don't need bags, thank you'. In many other places cashiers also act surprised, as it stops them on their track - it seems almost instinctive to them by now: scan purchased item, reach for plastic item that may take up to 300 years to disintegrate, times two if double-bagging. On other occasions, though, people have appreciated what I am doing, and some have also thanked me and added their own support on the subject. Moments like that certainly make up for the other days.

So I 'll keep making and giving away bags, and favour places that at least make an effort to use alternatives or encourage reuse of plastic bags. It's a win-win situation!

1 comment:

sugarcreekstuff said...

I feel the same way about the plastic bags. I also am a bag making girl. I just cant stop. Now I sell them!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin