Saturday, September 15, 2007

D-dinner

I often take photographs of food while I 'm cooking. Especially when I pour myself a glass of wine, put on some music, and approach cooking as something creative to be enjoyed. I like to take time and appreciate the involvement of all senses.

Oddly, taste is rarely the dominant one, as I don't nibble, not even to test food while I cook it. Smell is perhaps what I rely on most when I cook. I also enjoy the feeling of the ingredients as they pass through my fingers, and the close relation with fire that transforms individual items to a unified whole.

And vision, of course.

Last weekend's stirfry

I rarely follow recipes faithfully. Ingredient substitution is a dangerous habit, but often very rewarding. Most of the times, I have a general idea of how a meal is constructed, and as I cook I rely on my imagination - and the contents of my refrigirator. Don't some ingredients cry out "use me! use me!"?

Last night I made pseudo-quesadilla. I have no idea how one is really made, although I 'm sure a quick internet search would have provided the answer. I just came up with something myself that was so successful, I even decided to share.

Ingredients
1 cup flour (I only had white, but a combination of white & whole wheat would be better)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cup water
shredded pieces of chicken (leftovers from a chicken soup)
1/2 green pepper, sliced thinly
1 handful sweetcorn
2-3 tbsp heavy cream
2/3 cup cheese that melts well, grated
salt, pepper

1. Combine olive oil with flour, stir with a fork until mixed, and there are no chunks of dry flour (this will avoid lumps). Add the water, little by little, stirring thoroughly. Mixture should be quite runny. Add some salt, if desired. Divide in half, and pour over hot pan, shaking to spread the mixture evenly. Make two, set aside


2. Fry chicken, pepper and sweet corn for 1-2 minutes, until heated through. Set aside


3. Turn fire to lowest possible. Place one of the crepes on the pan, spread chicken mixture on a thin layer, sprinkle with cheese, heavy cream, freshly ground black pepper


4. Place the second crepe over the whole thing, and heat until cheese is melted. Goes well with fresh green salad

1 comment:

Zefi said...

auto fainetai polu miam. gia na fantasteis agorasa kotopoulo oste na mou meinoun upoloimata kai na ftiakso toutes tis krepes.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin